PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-NOJ Long Distance Flight
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2003, 06:25
YMML

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Enough!

I must say I'm getting a little annoyed by Jon Johanson. What is he trying to achieve other than personal glory? Is there any benefit for anyone else such as Charities?

I strongly support people persuing their dreams, but believe it is unreasonable to expect others to make up for your own careless risk taking. Being adventurous doesn't absolve one from responsibility.

Whilst it may seem extremely unreasonable not to make the fuel available I would expect they fear the precedent they may set. If fuel is made available why shouldn't anyone else give it a go if that's what excites them. What happens when someone crashes 50 or 500nm from the base next time? It won't be SAR in Canberra that goes to get them. The people working in Antarctica will have to expose themselves to additional risk to go searching for someone who is not actually achieving anything for the wider community.

They have offered to send him home on a scheduled flight and thats about all he should hope for.

Slice: There are relatively regular flights to and from Antarctica in the right season (Southern summer). Not quite B737 CityFlyers on the half hour but similar to the regular commercial charters to many mines in Australia for crew changes.

With regard to Avgas actually being available, not certain, but there was DC3's flying in Antarctica as recently as two years ago and I expect some still do. Good chance that some Avgas is around but like everything in Antactica I doubt you would describe it as surplus!

I thought in aviation we tried to balance productive goals against appropriate levels of risk taking to achieve a safe outcome. In these adventure type flights all I see is huge levels of risk with little or no productive goal attached.

A decision to fly unassisted in the Antarctic is not only made with your own life, but with that of others. I think they are justified in doing nothing to encourage further attempts.

Safe flying, YMML.