PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uni or not? (Merged 2013)
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2021, 20:41
TryingToAvoidCBs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I got terrible GCSEs. So bad infact my school prohibited me from even applying for A-levels and kicked me out of school. Ended up going to college and did quite well. Got onto a Degree course that was way over my head, and despite resitting my final year, still only walked out with a 3rd. Somhow managed to convince to head of dept to let me do an MSc (I was paying after all). I was oddly offered a PhD even though my MSc wasn't great, but I declined as I didn't particularly enjoy number crunching in a windowless office for 15 months and couldn't bare the thought of doing it for another 3 years.....plus the rest of my life. So I decided to give flight training a chance before it was too late. There were a couple of ATPL subjects my brain just didn't understand, but with PPL knowledge and a determination to get through them, they're not difficult. I ended up teaching ATPLs for a few years after I finished which I loved, and now sit happily in the RHS of a shiny jet. The vast majority of my collegues dont have degrees, they're not needed, unless you want something to fall back on in the future. But given the current market, falling back on a practical vocation is better than any degree.