PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Update-
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2021, 17:05
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
If helicopters only flew when it was nice and clear and VFR, then not many helicopters would ever fly. The fact is, we fly in bad...some might call it "poor" weather. As pilots, our *first* responsibility is to not crash. Obviously, Ara did not adhere to that one.

When Ara went I-IMC, maybe he thought he could just climb up above the low deck or layer and continue on VFR. Whatever was the actual circumstances, he surely lost control of the ship quickly. That happens. We've all been there. If we're posting on this forum, it means that for some reason we did not lose control and die. (In 35 years of flying, I've been there twice.)

The NTSB also dinged Ara for his speed. I've said this from the beginning: You can't go charging along at the speed of heat when you're down low in crappy weather. You've *got* to slow down so you don't blunder inadvertently into a cloud or fog bank. Obviously, Ara failed there.

It's just not sufficient to say, "The weather was bad that day; he never should have flown."