PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Death of Cathay
Thread: Death of Cathay
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2021, 13:16
VforVENDETTA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progress Wanchai

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you?

Don't answer that.

Where and when did I ever say I did any goodwill gestures for this company? When you ask a question and get completely ignored you should get a clue.

I have not once done anything except very strictly what my contract required me to do. I've never once answered cc phone calls, acknowledged anything including when 15 pieces of paper were slipped under my door on layovers, never done a single thing to save fuel or help beyond my responsibilities except for my fellow crewmembers for whom I'd do anything, I never report for work until exactly when my roster sign-on or van pick time to the minute, i have never once asked for a single direct, etc. This is how I've behaved for as long as I've been here. A little less than 2 decades, not to get too specific. I've always thought it was appalling that hkaoa would declare cc suspension during typhoons etc. Those were the times for us to make a real dent. So many lost opportunities. Why in the would i ever want to give more than my contract specifies? Would they ever give me more in return? I'd have to h
be very stupid to give more without getting more. But there are plenty of those stupids at this outfit. When I say WE, I mean as a collective. Personally, I never gave anything in the way of good will, because in the first few months it became clear exactly what the corporate culture character of this airline was and always has been. So I made adjustments.

Now of course we don't work under a contract at all. Cos18 is by definition not a contract. its not a binding agreement on both parties. It's changeable at any time and in any way company wishes to do so. None of us have any obligation to abide by any of it. We only do so as far as necessary to not get fired. It's nothing more than company policy amendable at will. The moment YOU decide you're not working for this company, you ignore it all. 3 months notice? If I can arrange everything so I have a layover close to home at the right time, they'll be calling my number at departure time wondering where I am. This isn't just me the individual. This is overwhelmingly how people feel on the only fleet that has actually been busting it's a$s for the last one year and gotten shafted as a reward. Again, please don't use the other fleets who have been almost entirely sitting at home while getting paid as examples of how "well, I don't see that among the crew" . Obviously they don't feel the same for obvious reasons.

And you accuse ME of showing good will, ever? What a laugh!

I didn't bring any of this attitude with me when I first joined. But I've adjusted accordingly, like a mirror. Cathay management doesn't deserve any more. They never miss a chance to prove it. This place was always a place to work at. But the money was good so we all put up with it having decided the money was worth it. But now that the money is gone, nothing worthwhile remains at this company. I know some of you are hopelessly without better options for now. So you try to justify for yourself things are not/have not been that bad. But this is a state of forced denial and delusion because the reality is depressing and dark. I understand exactly why some of you choose to look at things with thick rose colored glasses. But reality doesn't care. Like I said before, cathay is in a death spiral. You'd be stupid not to jump with a parachute if you can secure one. If you can't well then, you can't but at least you tried.