PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2021, 10:32
Max Tow

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Tik Hai Sycamore & well done, especially as I didn't have to resort to an aerial photo (there is a contemporary one on Goggle).

Dinjan in Assam it is, the home of Nbr. 5 squadron RAF for a few months in 1942 before the USAAF moved in during the" over the Hump" airlift to China, for which the base is far more famous (but that would have been too easy!)

The pilot in the first aircraft photo is Flt Lt. Keith MacEwan, surveying damage after the Mohawk's first enemy encounter, a "Dave" floatplane in July 42.

The maple leaf cowling belonged to Canadian Flt Sgt. Rod Lawrence, who was later credited with a "Lily" bomber kill, albeit in Oct 42, shortly after the squadron moved south from Dinjan to Agartala. Brave men, all.

Plenty of books about the Hump airlift, but may I commend to any who are interested in this lesser known aircraft (well, to me, anyway!) the excellent "P36 Hawk Aces of World War 2" which includes the above and many other tales.

The waterway may look like the sea but is of course the mighty Brahmaputra.

Other clues explained, with apologies if they didn't help:

The "still well on the road" and "still we'll truck on" - I hoped might help identify the photo of the amazing Stilwell Road (as it's now known, formerly the Ledo Rd) built during the conflict to carry supplies over the mountains to China following the loss of Burma and which starts its 1000km journey nearby.

My "cuppa" mention was intended to suggest tea and, thereby, Assam, specifically the Dinjan Tea Estate where the airfield was built. It's a truly beautiful part of the world, with the river, mountains on both shores and the Kaziranga Wildlife Reserve (refuge of the one horned rhino).

The American pair with the cub is a bit of a mystery. It was definitely taken at Dinjan so I thought it might allude to the flights conducted by the Flying Tigers, however probably not as it does look more like a leopard.

The "American Indian tribe" reference was to connect Mohawks to the impending reactivation of the air base with a detachment of new IAF Chinook helicopters, to provide heavy lift capability during the current India/China eastern Himalaya border tensions.

Finally, the initial rather blurred colour photo of the derelict airfield building was included just so that I could share the accompanying trip report from the unfortunate Sgt. Bikash, repeated below. Hopefully the place has been refurbished before the IAF helo crews move in......

Last edited by Max Tow; 10th Feb 2021 at 22:01. Reason: typo