PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2021, 23:49
TLDNMCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The embarrassment - best pal (to this day) and I got posted to Gutersloh and trooped out from Luton on Britannia (I think we spent the previous night at Hendon Police Training Centre - I may be wrong).

However, upon arrival we jumped on a coach which said "Gutersloh" only to become increasingly horrified at the amount of small children and young Mum's occupying the bus. we finished up in the married patch - like clowns, we had jumped on the school bus, thinking it would take us away from the airfield and onto the main camp. It cost us a taxi fare back to the flugplatz of course.

To compound things, we has a day to kill following arrival, so full of confidence, we went into town (intentionally this time) and tried to make use of this new weird money which we had never seen before. Outside a department store was a "Chocolate machine" similar to the ones you would see on UK train platforms back in the 60's / 70's.

"What do you fancy then?" "Dunno, don't recognise any of it" Then we found something we could both read in English... "STOP BABY! Condom, best seller in Germany!" Two blokes 23 years old staring at a Johnny machine with a 5D coin each at 4 o'clock in the high street deciding which ones to buy, thinking we might get an Aero or Kit-Kat. "Shall we f-off for a beer?" "Yep" - I think we might have beaten Del Boy to his "Play it cool" line by a couple of decades.