PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headset audio to personal earphones
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2021, 18:56
john_tullamarine

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
I don't have the Ohms symbol on my keypad, but it looks a bit like a horseshoe with the open end at the bottom.

The character is the Greek upper case omega - Ω.

Some useful techniques for the PC (the Mac, no doubt, has equivalents) to access the extended character set:

(a) find the character map program (absolutely essential if you need to use the extended character set routinely). Windows\system32\charmap on my current system but in a similar spot on earlier versions - make a desktop link to the program so that you have it neatly to hand forever and a day. I use it very frequently and, if you don't, then you are denying yourself a great feature of your computer. Find the appropriate character, copy and then paste it. Nothing to remember and absolutely easy peasy.

(b) learn a bunch of alt codes which do the same thing via the numeric keypad (the hard way).

(c) learn a bunch of unicodes - ditto

(d) use one of the net equivalents to (a), eg https://unicode-table.com/en/

In respect of the OP's concern, do be careful about design considerations and what your patch cable might be doing to the system .... suggest you talk to your tech services electrical engineering folk before you make up such things for use on the line.

I have read tales of charmap's causing problems - none ever in my experience of the program over many years but I note the concern for what it may be worth.