PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WA: Push on or Pull Out?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2021, 01:34
WingNut60

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Or refer back to the Air Asia A330 that passed several suitable airports, by-passed Learmonth on the way back to Perth after losing a part of one engine.

One description at the time "I have not read all posts on this thread but I was a passenger on the plane and can clarify a few things first hand.
First, there was an initial loud bang followed quickly by the vibration. I imagined that a cargo door had blown off. The vibration did last the entire return flight except for the approach to landing when it all but stopped. Presumably lower airspeed reduced the windmilling force.

The vibration was fairly constant and low frequency - maybe 5 to 8 Hz I am guessing. It did seem so wane and surge. During the surging it was extremely unnerving. The toilet block behind me was wobbling so much that the noise prevented me from always hearing properly whatever was being said. In fact, during the emergency briefings from the crew they had to deliver it in person to a couple of rows at a time so we could hear them.

At times the vibration of my seat back was too much to be able to rest against. I had to sit forward in the seat.

The captain did suggest we pray on two occasions. I was not upset that he said that except that I hoped it did not mean that he was substituting reliance on a higher being over his own effort. He did sound emotional on one of his announcements when he appeared to have to stop mid sentence and then compose himself to continue. Then again it could have been something else that diverted his attention".

But press on they did.
And, if I remember correctly, the final report said nothing about the decision to return to Perth despite the captain being motivated to recommend prayer.

Last edited by WingNut60; 8th Feb 2021 at 01:53.