PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Licence recognition
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2021, 23:04
Climb150

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts
For those who aren't following, EASA will sometimes validate your ICAO/FAA licence if you meet a set of requirements. Don't ask me what they are I don't know. The EASA validation will only be for 12 months I believe. It's not widespread and not a long term option.

Converting any licence to EASA isn't easy. It's expensive and time consuming. There is no way to avoid the 14 exams. Those alone will take at least 12 months. Unless you have right to work in EU it's not worth it.

Most Asian and Middle East countries will convert your licence to a local one after an airlaw exam and a sim ride. Usually you have to be employed by an airline in that country. Some licences aren't accepted but usually this is stated clearly on the job ad.

My suggestion would be to get the cheapest and easiest to maintain licence. FAA is much cheaper than EASA and there are FAA check airman literally all over the world. Type ratings don't expire with FAA and you don't need 500 multi crew for ATPL issuance. Also, you can do the FAA ATP checkride in a piston twin.

Make up your own mind but just think twice about getting a licence from a country with a poor safety record.

Last edited by Climb150; 8th Feb 2021 at 01:16.