PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linton on Ouse : The end of an era
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2021, 13:04
Wensleydale

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Flash
Another gent pitched up with a 4L Pontiac Firebird, black with a red and gold firebird emblazoned on the bonnet. It later went via the car auction in York and me and a mate bought it. For a month we gave it large around York and it was a very good babe magnet. Unfortunately it had a fuel consumption measured in tons per foot so all pre match entertainments with the laydees was spent feeding The Thing From Detroit. The engine was a solid block of rust but the exhausts leaked with a pleasing rumble. We put it back through the auction after a few weeks and another idiot bought it.
When I was at Linton (77-78), the F&C Students were banned from having cars: the rumours were that they had been pulled up for so many motoring offences (no license, speeding etc) but had been able to escape the Law by claiming Diplomatic Immunity. This left them with lots of spare cash and little to spend it on, so their wing of the OM became full of very high end, (and very loud) music sound systems that boomed down the corridor at all times of day and night. I was fortunate enough to live in the other wing, but still heard the "disco" blaring away most evenings. The stories of their mishaps would have filled many a line book, and I'm not sure how many of them were true, but if only a small percentage of them actually happened then they were certainly dangerous!