PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Training questions (UK)
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2021, 01:58
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2¢ for what it's worth. I learned in the US so not directly comparable, at one of the busiest small airports in the world (Palo Alto) - on a fine Saturday morning, being number 5 to land is common.

First, it really doesn't matter what you learn on (within reason - there are people who have learned in a Pitts, but that doesn't make it a good idea). You'd be amazed at how easy the transition is from low wing to high wing, or yoke to stick, or whatever, once you've established a basic skill level. I learned on a 172, with odd lessons in a 152. Not long after I transitioned to a 182, then my own TR182, with odd flights in a PA28, SR20 and Robin. It takes about five minutes to stop noticing the different controls. While learning stick to one type, but afterwards you'll transition easily enough. (Low wing to/from high wing takes a bit of practice, but no biggie - you'll nail it in an hour).

The ONLY hard thing in flying is landing. (There are lots of things that SEEM hard, but landing well takes a lot of practice). So while learning, you need to do it as often as possible. That rules out Biggin - and PAO too, for intensive pattern work we would bop over to one of the less busy fields in the area. (Fond memories of my tailwheel checkout, 13 landings in 30 minutes on a calm day at Byron where we flew dog-leg turns at each end of the runway). My only times at Redhill have been in a heli, and I don't think I've ever seen a fixed wing movement there! - always waterlogged.