PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A plea for brevity - CTAF Broadcasts
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2021, 20:10
ExSp33db1rd

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
......and to all those who think it's impressive to rattle off a call at high speed, slow it down a bit so we can actually UNDERSTAND what you are saying.
Our local NZ airfield has a Sky Dive operator whose pilots think it is Smart and Professional to rattle off their many position reports and " Two minutes to drop" reports as fast as they can. Over the years I have learned to recognise what they are trying to say, but visiting pilots haven't the faintest idea. I once responded with " If you fly as fast as you talk, I'm getting outta here"

Not only students, some New York ATC operators were speed merchants, and after listening to many ":Please repeat" " say all after " etc. I once heard a Southern accented American Airlines pilot say " Say, Kennedy Tower, d'y'all hear how slow ah talk ? Waal - that's how slow ah think, say again, slowly."

One of our co-pilots departing New York once had difficulty copying then then long and complicated clearance, this was before the invention of SID's and STAR's and again after many please repeats and say all afters, the controller said " OK, listen everybody, we have a Limey here, so I'm goin' to say it again REAL slow."