PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most distinctive and charismatic engine sound?
Old 5th Feb 2021, 19:43
Suzeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad someone mentioned the C-133. When I was in London in the late 60s, they flew over quite frequently at around FL200 and had the most distinctive and loud sound - once heard never forgotten

Check out the first video at 01.52 and 04.10 where you will get a feel for it and even better in the second one of it landing from about 0.28 in. Worth reading the notes too. Of course being at altitude, the sound went on for some while

https://www.aerothusiast.com/blog/vi...33-cargomaster

"Hey Mick! There's a Cargomaster going over"
"Sorry Fred - can't hear what you are saying, there's a Cargomaster going over..

F104 have been mentioned with a wonderful and distinctive howl especially when downwind. I remember once at the eastern end of the runway at Greenham on arrivals day, someone had a tape recorder and recorded one downwind. From the road at the end of the runway, you couldn't see stuff on finals until the last minute. And not many gens had UHF radios in those days to see what was coming in. He played the tape several times during the day which certainly woke the enthusiasts up, but after it happened a few times and no F104 appeared, someone rumbled what was going on! The Canadian F104 team were good for plenty of howling as they kept everyone busy with their excellent displays. In the latter days the German ones seemed not to howl very often - either a mod or a different piloting technique perhaps?

Original C-5s were fun too - we always had to stay at Mildenhall if one was departing to watch and hear the "'laxy taxy". And In the 60s, Aeroflot TU-114s occasionally overflew the UK and were also quite distinctive

Today the flying hairdryer aka the Avanti is quite distinctive as are AN-12/26 and A400M all of which have flown over me in the last couple of weeks.

Last edited by Suzeman; 5th Feb 2021 at 19:57.