PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A plea for brevity - CTAF Broadcasts
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2021, 19:01
Clinton McKenzie

Received 245 Likes on 124 Posts
I”m glad the response has not been general yawns.

Runaway G: touché.

Unnecessary calls are a related but different issue.

This intrigues me, Ix:
I'd highly disagree with leaving out "of the field", that's a dangerous assumption IMHO, what if you've simply not registered the fact that they're giving a different key location or the radio dropped for a second whilst saying it? Also don't drop the feet part, once again this is for clarity, if you're hearing someone with a choppy radio how do I know you're talking about feet of altitude and weren't mentioning a distance in meters like visibility or something? There are good reasons we use feet for altitude and meters for visibility and saying Feet or Meters means that even with a garbled transmission I still know what that 3,500 was referring to.
Why is it “dangerous” to assume, when someone reports inbound to/overflying a named location, that the location is the aerodrome/airfield of that name? It seems to me that the ‘key location’ is the aerodrome/airfield.

Can you provide an example of where there’s a safety benefit of broadcasting, on a CTAF, a position by reference to a place other than an aerodrome/airfield?

Why would someone be transmitting visibility data in a CTAF broadcast? I can’t recall ever having done so in the last few decades, but my experience may be narrow. If it were ever necessary/useful, I reckon I would just make that clear in the broadcast. Can you provide a common example of important distance information, other than nms, included in CTAF broadcasts?