PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stick skills v airmanship
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2021, 17:39
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by aa777888
That's what I thought, in general terms, anyway. Hence the example video of Dennis' air show routine not being anywhere near that far from the crowd. No matter how good you are, and he was great, and how much you practice, and how carefully you plan, you can still crash, and even he did once, famously. And the same is pretty much true of many air show performances. Don't forget the crowds want to be part of the show, too. Standing 500M away is not going to cut it for them. They have their own personal risk assessments. Many an air show spectator has been killed over the years.

Agreed.

Lot's of typing in this post, and your following post, but I did not see a single sentence about how you went 50+ KN sideways in an R22. Or did I miss that? So still waiting for the rest of that story, please.
There is an inherent risk to any visitor to an airshow that is managed. by the pilot and the airshow organizer. DK's routine was practiced and he operated under the airshow guidelines. The risk is not zero, as it wasn't at Reno with Galloping Ghost.

PM me for details. The value I obtained was during development testing and involved 2 of 3 mods that were being examined, of which an STC was completed for one only. That permitted an exploration of loads above where the helicopter was normally limited. The minimum mod was run on 0015, 63015, 0012, 63215, VR-7, OA-209 and RC-04 sections to name a few, as far as helicopter blades go. It was run on up to the SK61, UH1H/T701, AS350, B206, H500, H300, R22, R44 EN280, and a whole lot of experimental types. The largest blade it was run on was 150' diameter, with modest tip speeds. The EN28 series has a stunningly low tip speed, around 550FPS, the R22 around 699, R44 is slightly lower, the B206 is around 735 or so, a long time since I bothered with the numbers, 2012, and the last test I ran was 2017. The EN28 had a weird outcome, which was good, it gave compelling evidence as to what was occurring, and that led to a distraction of doing the same on the B737 wing. Read P.B. Martin & M. McVeigh, of Boeing at that time, or Holger Mai, Guido Dietz Wolfgang Geißler, Kai Richter, Johannes Bosbach and Hugues Richard Klaus de Groot of DLR. and M.E. Calvert & T.C. Wong. They are good primers and will assist in understanding what your blade does and what we did. Have a good look at the Cd/AOA and Cl/Cd that was achieved with conventional devices. That conventional devices increased Cd by ~50% over baseline actually indicate why there was a mechanism to cure that.