PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 MAX - Synthetic AoA
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2021, 18:04
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
In all fairness to the 'bus design, that sucker seems to be really stable and have very smooth stall that lacks buffeting, roll back and forth, etc.

You donot need to be Yeager to see a huge difference between flight path and attitude, and I do not recall a real high pitch attitude for the AF jet. In other words, where was the FPM in their FD or whatever you guys use for steering suggestions ( hopefully not 100% commands). If my basic ref symbol is high and the command symbol is out the bottom of the display, maybe my AoA aint so good.

I raised the story because first thing I noticed in an airplane with a HUD and FPM was when I nudged or yanked that the actual vector did not instantly follow the basic attitude indication. I was seeing a change in AoA just milliseconds before the change in lift caused an actual flight path change. I imagine that in a "heavy" that the lag is quite evident. The SLUF showed an AoA bracket all the time, so even without knowing the actual value, you could see it moving in response to your stick commands. It was like looking at what your academics taught you concerning how planes flew.

So I have high hopes for a fairly straightforward AoA solution to be implemented in the airplane of interest here. As PEI has commented, maybe the simplest solution is a third sensor that only comes into play if the two active ones disagree. Gee, I wonder if such an implementation has been used since 1973?