PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who benefited from the Forsyth Review?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2021, 08:08
jmmoric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Checkboard
DOC 10004 - second sentence (still the first line):

(Emphasis mine).

So the plan you quote NEVER, EVER achieves an obtainable goal. That seems to meet the definition of "unobtainable" to me.
Okay, fair enough... I hate the mudthrowing and right now we are. It's an undeniable fact that a 0 casualty/accident state cannot be reached, which DOC 10004 also states, but we want to minimize it.

1.1 ICAO ICAO STRATEGIC OBJECTIVE ON SAFETY
Safety is the highest priority of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Strategic Objectives. This Strategic Objective aims to enhance global civil aviation safety and focuses primarily on a State's effective safety oversight and its capabilities in the management of safety.
Furthermore:
1.4 PURPOSE OF THE GASP
The purpose of the GASP is to continually reduce fatalities, and the risk of fatalities, associated with accidents by guiding the harmonized development and implementation of regional and national aviation safety plans.
Do keep in mind the first line:
a) establishing GASP goals, targets and indicators;
On top of that we also have a vision:
To achieve and maintain the goal of zero fatalities in commercial operations by 2030 and beyond.
So we have a vision (the perfect unobtainable one), which covers commercial aviation, an objective and a purpose... and then still goals, targets and indicators.
Just the idea of opening the the option of establishing a goal, and not directly stating it shall be 0 casualties/accidents, is directly pointing towards we can never reach our vision.... but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try our hardest.

But if you really want to dive into safety management etc., then you have DOC 5863 where they are talking about "Safety risk tolerability" in 2.2.5, followed by setting up an example of a matrix etc.

https://www.skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/5863.pdf

Is the vision obtainable? No, probably not.... should we strive towards it? Yes... Do we accept some risk? Yes, but we will mitigate them to an acceptable level.