PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rothmans Aerobatic Team (& Others)
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2003, 01:01
G-KEST

Awesome but Affordable

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Devil

I flew with the RAT's for the 1971 season in Stampe SV4C's flying G-AYGR or G-AYCK in the No. 2 slot. A fabulous experience especially since I had no formation aerobatic time or training prior to joining the team. Not only that, but my first airshow with the team was the afternoon of the day I joined.........!!! One day I will write it all up for one of the aviation magazines but I can confirm that on the odd occasion adrenalin was brown. Great blokes and fantastic pilots. Had to pack it in at the end of the 1971 season as, O thee of little faith, I lacked confidence in Rothmans continuation as sponsors beyond the end of 1973 and I had a wife, two kids and a mortgage to keep happy along with my day job of being CFI at Sibson.
I did blot my copybook in 1972 when I totally demolished a borrowed G-AYGR in a mid-air collision at a Barnstormers display at Weston-super-Mare. My subsequent apologies were accepted with a somewhat crinkly smile by Manx and Judy his wife.
The best source of information might be Jeanne Frazer who was the RAT's admin ace for a number of years from 1972. She is still involved with the airshow scene at Duxford with the Fighter Collection.