PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 18:27
Jetexec

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CGameProgrammerr
It's true that this might not succeed, but it is at least clearly legitimate I think and not a scam, like that flying car from a while back. Certification adds a huge amount to price, as does the premium from being aviation (like how horrendously overpriced Garmin avionics are). This does not use Garmin avionics but rather an iPad and their own in-house displays (obviously the actual panels are Samsung or whatever) so that results in huge savings, especially for the experimental version. So that does help things, cost-wise. But we'll see.

The non-refundable deposit is just like Kickstarter; you're effectively investing in the company to help bring the product to market. It is obviously not for anyone that would miss $100k but there are plenty of rich people that won't.

I think you nailed it. As I said before, I threw in my 100K. I haven't signed an NDA nor been told I couldn't discuss anything. That said, if you want to know more, sign up for their presentation and they are better suited to explain to you the entire process better than I could. Some of you doubt the simplicity of a turbine engine, but consider that with the technology to produce them today as compared to 50 years ago, how tough is it? Someone else mentioned something about the Garmin panel. How much would Garmin want for an entire glass panel similar to what you may have seen in the HX50? 6 figures for sure. I think everyone is already flying with an iPad now, how simple would it be to get that iPad to talk to the rest of the electronics just like your cell phone does when you jump into a vehicle and it automatically connects to CarPlay? I'm not here to sell the product and I still realize that there is risk in my investment. One interesting portion I saw on one of the live Q & A's with Jason Hill. One of the fellows listening in wanted to invest in Hill Helicopters and he was turned down point blank. Jason Hill stated that he did not require (nor want) any further outside investment. Now, if I were looking to scam money, I would never turn more money down..........Food for thought. I guess some of us (in this group) are going to be saying "I told you so" in a few years. I can live with that if I am the one being told.