PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Berlin man caught directing flight traffic with radio
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 17:17
grizzled

Received 80 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
. I never heard of a serious incident anywhere as a result.
I think most have "never heard of a serious incident" because the intimate details of these things, if they occurred, should not be in the public domain. I was involved in the investigation of a very serious incident involving a well-known international carrier, operating from Asia to North America, on approach to a large airport, in IFR wx, who accepted a turn "for spacing" that took the aircraft immediately toward higher terrain (above the current altitude of the aircraft). That situation was resolved with VERY little time or airspace remaining before a nasty outcome.

I will not comment further on how the incident itself was resolved, nor the specifics of where and when it occurred, except to say the offender ("rogue transmitter" as we called it) was caught. My sole point in posting this to emphasize that these things can and do occur and we should not give more publicity to them. Remember the good old days of "Bead Window"? Well, with the internet, and social media, there are great risks to inadvertently providing information to people with malicious intent.

Grizz