PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most distinctive and charismatic engine sound?
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 12:59
dixi188

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pulse1
dixi188 I stand corrected on the methanol injection on the Spey. I am talking about EFAT during crew training at Hurn. I worked about 6 miles from Hurn and, when a 1-11 with one engine came overhead, it was still quite low and very loud. On at least one occasion, the largely female workers in an enclosed clean area panicked and started to rush out of the door.

Much later on, I was chatting to someone outside the BA Engineering Building at Heathrow and heard a similar noise from something taking off. Thinking it might be Concorde I rushed to a gap in the buildings where I had a glimpse of the runway. It was a 1-11 and,even with noise reduction kit, it had that ear splitting noise I used to hear so regularly at Hurn.
I remember the training at Hurn. I was apprentice there from 1969 to 1973. I had a jump seat ride on one of these flights with Argentine pilots and an interpreter from the embassy who new nothing about flying. The training captain, Alan Smith, was having great difficulty.
Were you at Penny and Giles?