PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF tanker aircraft - Boeing ups bid
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2003, 23:49
NURSE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with regards the whole process the fact that the part of the tanker/transport fleet will be being used as comercial jets to my mind creates a huge security problem and what happens if surge capicity is needed in a hurry?
The 767 does offer interoprebility with the USAF withh regards type but as they use completley different refueling technique to us thats an obvious non starter. If both the competitors aren't probed or capable of being probed what happens when for example we get a very long range deployment like the Falklands could a 767 or A330 make the run there unrefueled with a useful payload?
The American Govt want to keep beoing in buisness hence the defence orders and I would say a certain ammount of pressure to buy being applied to the UK and other countries.
The other line of the CGS speech was about making us more interopreable with the yanks so we may be pushe into the Beoing.
Personally I'd prefer it not to be PFI and the RAF to own/operate outright and be in control of its own destiny.