PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final Report: April 2018 737 high speed aborted TO
Old 2nd Feb 2021, 22:21
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If find it interesting that those most critical of this discussion, and it is only a discussion, have made no input to it apart from disparaging remarks and “I’m right and you’re wrong”, without presenting facts or any kind of rational argument. Not the way anyone I know who is actually involved in training (or any kind of endeavour) behaves, or should behave.

I don’t think I have seen any suggestion on this thread that rejecting at V1 or above is anything other than a last-ditch method to try and avert/ameliorate a major catastrophe. Most of us will go through an entire career without ever coming close to being put in this position, but there is always the possibility.

We have rules, regulations and standards in aviation to cover a lot of eventualities, with the caveat that when you find yourself in a situation outside the purview of the QRH, etc. you need to draw on all your knowledge and experience and those aforementioned rules become guidelines. It is understandable that those used to enforcing standards find this difficult to grasp, as it is not something which can realistically be trained or assessed. A scenario where the best result is a survivable crash, which is only possible through taking unorthodox action, is not something most would wish as part of an LPC/OPC.

There are a lot of shades of grey here. Taking off from 16L at DOH and birds go down both engines at V1+5, with pops and bangs from both sides with 3,000m+ remaining is a different proposition to a short, wet runway with a very wet or rocky overrun. Is there EMAS installed? Is the V1 we’re using at the high or low end of what is usually a spread? And so on. A good working knowledge of aircraft performance is very useful because it will give you some idea of what might happen if you have to bend/break SOPs through force majeure. Conventional performance is based on losing only one of your powerplants and the configuration of the aircraft being what was planned; as soon as any of those cease to be true, you are on your own and flight may become difficult or impossible.