PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vaccine implications on your licence
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2021, 12:37
double_barrel

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
14 6

I'm also a (very) amateur pilot. Although I have no idea how I found myself n the Middle East section of PPrune!

I am not sure that I do entirely understand your reluctance to accept what the experts are telling you. I could perhaps understand it if the recommendation was in the face of some trivial inconvenience, but this advice is in the face of an economy-wrecking, people-killing pandemic. When I step on a commercial aircraft, I trust that appropriate experts have ensured that it is fit to fly and that an appropriately qualified crew are sitting at the front, even though this may be the first time they have met each other or been on board this particular aircraft.

It is certainly possible (probable) that each of the vaccines will have some very rare adverse effects on some people, just like some aircraft very rarely fall out of the sky. But I do not see any way that there can be some mysterious long-term devastating consequence from some of the new technologies such as mRNA. The concept has been around for decades and we understand pretty well how it works. The other vaccines are bog standard in their methods. Personally, I would take any of the vaccines in a heartbeat if it was offered to me.

There are some interesting theoretical population level 'risks' that are a bit harder to explain. All viruses mutate very easily, and a lot of weakly immune people can select for resistant mutants. That's why it is so important to get as many people effectively vaccinated as fast as possible. If we imagine we can hide behind a wall in our own little vaccinated country, we would actually be constantly exposed to a soup of variants from outside that will eventually break through. If anything ever did, this needs global cooperation to fix.