PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most useful tips on a flight
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2021, 22:16
Hartington

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Rather than count how many rows you are from an exit I look for "landmarks". Things like bulkheads, toilets, galleys. Works for me on wide bodies, perhaps not so effective on narrow bodies.

Pay for the best seat you can. When I was younger economy was fine because (a) I WAS younger and (b) there was more space in economy in those days. Now I save up and buy premium economy for long haul and, if I have enough "air miles" if it's an overnight I'll try and upgrade to business. Always look at the price of a "better" class; I've found Business for LESS than economy and Business for only £100 more than premium economy by being flexible on dates/times. You don't have to come home from the same place you fly to. In fact, you don't even have to come back to the same place. I once went Manchester/Los Angeles and came home San Francisco/London - they just charge half of each fare (usually).

Try not to interfere with things the crew are doing but, on long haul, get up and move around if you can. Don't just go to the toilet, take advantage of the fact that you're out of your seat (so you've disturbed your seat mates probably) and stay out while you do a few stretching exercises.

Boarding and disembarkation, if someone is having a problem lifting a bag (yes, they shouldn't bring a bag they can't lift but.......) give them a hand - keep things moving.

In the end, relax. Make sure you check in in plenty of time, particularly if you want to do some shopping. Keep an eye on the screens showing which gate to go to and have a look at the signs about how long it takes to get to each group of gates so you can gauge your trip to the gate. It's the same at the far end. let everyone else bust a gut. By the time they get through to the baggage carousel you'll catch them up just as the bags start to appear.