PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to build and log hours effectively towards CPL?
Old 1st Feb 2021, 17:51
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Aviator172s

It sounds like you've got a decent plan dialed in in that case. Just remember to consider the CBIR rather than a full IR course. The CBIR tends to use more airplane time and therefore counts as hour building, so you can "write it off" against hour building - essentially you're only paying the extra for the instruction. If you do a traditional IR course you'll spend a lot more time in the SIM which depending on where you go can cost as much as an SEP!
There's nothing wrong with Sims when used correctly, but in reality they rarely are. The fundamentals of IR flying takes around 10 hours - the rest is practicing flying routes and test profiles etc. Most guys at my school were ready for test long before they finished the course, so a lot of time was spent in the SIM just flying around.

Listen to what Central Scrutinizer says: the clock is always ticking. Don't see "if it's worth" going for CPL and IR - You have to get them. Unless you want to do the exams again... The regulations say you have to get the CPL and (your first) IR within 36 months. It doesn't say what kind of IR, so an SEIR will work. As will an SE CPL. It's the cheapest way. The MEIR and MCC can wait, but those two can't.

Because all your flying is single pilot. Airlines fly multi pilot, which involves MCC and all that good stuff. Anecdotally it's been said that the more hours a pilot has as single crew, the harder it is to retrain him/her to fly collaboratively, hence why some airlines prefer guys fresh out of flight school and will overlook 700 hour instructors going for the same job. I know, right?!