PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check Flights and Pulling Circuit Breakers
Old 1st Feb 2021, 11:50
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by john_tullamarine
Early BOAC days of the "real" Boeing 707

RAAF Crash 1991 Australia Boeing 707 - YouTube .. getting on to 30 years ago. A sobering result of doing things which are not appropriate to do in an aeroplane.
Years before the accident I had the IP of the 707 accident with me as a copilot, and he was a very competent driver on our type. Every day flying, we were asymmetric, and sometimes with 2 shut down. What was missing with the 707 was the general awareness of the effect of the flight control system, and swept-wing, when they did a VMC Air demo with the rudder boost off. The aircraft stalled well above the expected stall speed, With no rudder, the yaw led to roll moment that was offset with aileron, which introduced the spoilers... and so the wing was loaded up considerably. when the plane stalled, it rapidly rolled off, as in autorotation rates, fast enough to throw an outboard engine off the pylon. Some good people were lost from learning to bleed, and the IP was led down the path by his familiarity with straight wing asymmetry, and the differences of a swept wing with supplemental spoiler roll control.

I do type ratings and training in various jets and, like flying helicopters, it is safe until it suddenly isn't, care has to be taken to ensure that risk is not excessive. In an ideal world, sims would do all the heavy lifting.