PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL upgrade from MPL
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2021, 05:08
rudestuff

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by African_TrouserSnake
From part-FCL:

When the holder of an ATPL(A) has previously held only an MPL, the privileges of the licence shall be restricted to multi-pilot operations, unless the holder has complied with FCL.405.A(b)(2) and (c) for single-pilot operations.
The problem is that this quote (FCL.505) is at odds with FCL.405 to which it refers. Quite clearly the intent was more like - "When the holder of an ATPL(A) has not previously held a CPL..." ....except that they didn't write that..

When reading regulations they tend to be clustered, so if I'm looking for info regarding the MPL I would go to FCL.400. Key point to remember: 405 technically refers to an MPL wanting PPL or CPL privileges.

If I used to be an MPL pilot who's just been given my ATPL and I decide i want to remove this "multi pilot" condition - where would I go to look? FCL.500: because I've got an ATPL, which means that FCL.505.A would take precedence.

The problem is that FCL.505.A clearly offers the option NOT to be bound by FCL.405, purely by being poorly written.