PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How hard is it to become a British Army pilot?
Old 10th Dec 2003, 21:55
Tbird

Sabre

If you want to fly then the above post if correct, go and see the AAC at Wallop and see what you think. The process is long, but well worth it. First you have to go and do your Pilot Aptitude test at Cranwell. If that is okay then go and talk to the Air Corps and they will put you through Army Flight Grading. This is a 3/4 week course, which aims to give you 13 hours instructional flying time in the Firefly.

At the end of that then you will be told whether they think you are good enough for the army pilots course. If all is well, then you are off to Barkston Heath to go and do another 40 hours on the Firefly. Then if you are successful there, its off to Shawbury to start your 80 hour basic rotary training. Once that is done, you are back at Wallop to do your advanced rotary course. At that point, if your successful you get your wings. Then you have to convert onto a chosen type. Not sure about the Gazelle or the Lynx, but AH conversion, last time i looked was 78 weeks.

Don't quote me on the timings etc, but i think most of that is currect. Hope it helps.

Tbird