PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2021, 11:54
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well done chaps. Mousehold Aerodrome, Norwich it is. I thought you were going to miss the train! A few snaps to follow. Active 1915-1939. RFC First War and No3 Aircraft Acceptance Park 1917 for duration receiving aircraft from Norwich manufacturers such as Boulton and Paul and Mann Egerton among others.

The aerodrome was established on the Cavalry Training Ground.

Boulton and Paul maintained an assembly and manufacturing facility on the aerodrome until 1934 when their aviation division moved to Wolverhampton.

Boulton and Paul Air Frames were manufactured in the city. Initially at Rose Lane and then at the huge Riverside Works. They were then transported some distance to the aerodrome for assembly. A light railway was built on to the tram network at Mousehold to facilitate the transit of airframes and armaments to the aerodrome.

Leaving Riverside Circa 1924

No prizes for guessing what this is ! Later- Engine compartment Boulton and Paul P12 Bodmin.

Norfolk and Norwich Aero Club established at Aerodrome in 1927. The photograph of the Bristol Fighter depicts The Prince of Wales' personal aeroplane. I don't know when that snap was taken. However this next image was taken on July 21st 1933 on the occasion of The Prince opening The Municipal Norwich Airport. (He flew himself to the aerodrome in a DH Dragon).

Prince of Wales and Sidestrand of 101 Squadron at Norwich Aerodrome 21 June 1933. Photo credit Chaz Bowyer Collection.

Boulton and Paul a very diverse manufacturing company. This building typical of their work. Note its presence in my clue earlier.

Today this wooden built pavilion functions as an eating house.

Max Tow has declared Open House.

Finally select videos on this link:https://www.abct.org.uk/airfields/ai...heath-norwich/

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 1st Feb 2021 at 16:53. Reason: Caption P12 Bodmin