PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL upgrade from MPL
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2021, 09:30
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
That's a very interesting question, right up my street.

I presume the intent is to stop people doing single pilot ops when they do not meet the experience and test requirements of the CPL.

According to the CAA, if you hold an ATPL you can exercise all the privileges of the holder of a LAPL, PPL and CPL. By doing an MPL you end up with an ATPL without meeting the PPL or CPL experience or test requirements. Confusingly my license reads ATPL, CPL, PPL which kind of implies that each licence has its own privileges rather than each licence contains the privileges of the lower licences, so I'm assuming in your case your licence might read ATPL, MPL, PPL?

The whole thing is poorly worded because aren't all ATPLs restricted to multi pilot operations by definition?
Basically what they're saying is if you've got an MPL but nothing else you're multi pilot only: If you want a PPL or CPL you have to get one.

The $64,000 dollar question is: Does an ATPL have CPL and PPL privileges (a) inherently or (b) by virtue of the fact that CPL and PPL are printed on the licence?
Because if it's (a) then FCL.505 basically says that just having a PPL gives your ATPL single pilot privileges...

Last edited by rudestuff; 31st Jan 2021 at 09:53.