PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final Report: April 2018 737 high speed aborted TO
Old 30th Jan 2021, 09:52
alf5071h

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do you bother ?

I bother because I am still learning.
You are either in the industry and understand how performance works or you are not.”
Re 'industry', a yes-no answer.
Re 'understanding', an opinion, after the event, without assurance that my opinion or that of others is correct, at that time, in that situation.
Re 'performance'; for aircraft a simple yes-no, a line on the page.
Re 'performance' relating to people; this defies explanation, too many variables, thought, context, situation, etc; thus the use of Behavioural Markers, ratings, not numbers.

Consider a jump-seat CRM check-ride for this incident. You rate the crew at the moment the aircraft stops, as a crew member; a judgement call either way - but you are going to walk away.
Consider the same scenario in a simulator; a decision for a pre-programmed event chosen by you, where the outcome is known (one way or another) and can be judged (rated) yes-no.
Consider now, penning words to Pprune, with incident report and FDR to hand; another rating.
If these ratings differ, why.
If they are the same, why; which is easier to explain … and why.
Why do I bother, because its another opportunity to ask why, hoping to improve understanding.
Learning from the misfortunes of others.