PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The amount of CPL graduates vs amount of jobs
Old 30th Jan 2021, 02:30
Cessna 180

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree it is a ridiculous idea to subsides flight training. As Clare said above, it is us, the taxpayers who are subsidizing it. In fact I used to do my renewal at a place that started doing fee help. I stopped as a tiny protest against it.
This is a tough industry and only those whom are committed will make it, at any level. Regardless of who pays for the training.

As for those arguing that a school leaver or youngster will either be borrowing from Bank of Mum and Dad or someone else anyway, what is wrong with them getting a job or trade elsewhere and saving up? Even if they needed a small personal loan to finish it off. Worked for me and plenty of others I know.
I never paid up front either. Paid after each lesson as I could afford it.

As for people whom are just looking for "the fulfillment of gaining a CPL"? Full credit and encouragement to them. However, let them pay for it themselves just the same as we all do with any hobby.

Comparing an aviation career to medicine is also ridiculous. Whilst there are similarities in discipline and mental attitude that is where it ends.
Anyone with a small amount of common sense, mechanical aptitude and commitment can be a pilot, where as do be a doctor requires very high marks in year twelve and an extended uni degree.

Thence the demand for trained Dr's verses supply is much higher than in the flying world.

I don't think the operators up north despair too much. Whilst I can't comment for last year, prior to that the volume had dropped off.
I think most operators are happy to have a chat with anyone genuinely looking for work. Sure, there are some rude and entitled 'bosses" out there but the same goes for a small minority of job seekers.