PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final Report: April 2018 737 high speed aborted TO
Old 29th Jan 2021, 16:50
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with the above posters that it is not as simple as it sounds. When was the last time you were given a sim exercise where you had to reject after V1 in order not to crash? So, strangely enough, don’t reject after V1 in the sim!

Back in the real world, having an unexpected situation develop around V1, we don’t know in the case under discussion exactly where, leaves you in the position where rote behaviour (V1 = GO) is now at odds with cognition (can we fly?). I’m not a behavioural scientist but I don’t think you have to be one to realise that there is an awful lot of human factors here, not least the way we process information and make decisions, especially with conflicting inputs. I’m going to be controversial and say that one of the major causal factors here is a configuration warning that doesn’t appear to be inhibited at high speed - what’s the point of having it sounding if the consensus is that you should continue anyway? All it provides is an opportunity for confusion. On later aircraft, config warnings are inhibited approaching V1.

Statistically, it’s better to continue pretty much all of the time, so that’s what we train and what we expect to do. However, there is the possibility that one of us reading this thread may be dealt something truly nasty at some point in their career, like a multiple birdstrike at speed that causes multiple engine problems. Then you have to make a decision rather quickly...