PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 29th Jan 2021, 12:01
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadets will have their place at RYR in the future as the business model is heavily inclined towards cadet training. And I'm afraid that this is no good news for rated and experienced 737 pilots. Chances are that rated FOs will only start getting jobs once there are enough cadets to make the training part of the business profitable.

Why? I can think of three reasons. First, you would be deluded to think that the course is sold at self-worth. There's a significant profit calculated into the €30,000 end figure. Second, after accepting all the financial risk associated with the course, cadets work on a reduced pay scheme for quite a while. The first increase in pay after line training comes at 500 hours, then I think there's another one at 1500. Experienced guys join on the higher pay band right away. Finally, standardisation. RYR prefer people who will not carry over any negative training from another 737 operator and have learned to fly it their way right from day one.

So, you do have some prospects as a cadet. The awkward thing though is that you can't know how long it will take until you start flying and when will you start consistently getting enough flying per month to be able to properly support yourself with this job. Bear in mind, if you fly 20-30 hours per month, your earnings will be unimpressive, to say the least. So, take care not to land yourself in hot water by getting a loan with the expectation of decent earnings right off the bat.