PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is a/g no longer safe?
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2003, 19:21
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it when someone raises a question on these forums that they don't like the look off or they think that there answer is the only answer does the question automatically become a "wind-up"??

The question was not one of when to report someone it was one of if upgrading from A/G to AFIS or even ATC would provide a greater level of control and thus a greater level of safety.

I am very familiar with the airfield in question and quite agree that the standard of airmanship shown there frequently is sub standard. Bad enough to file an MOR maybe at times, bad enough to file a CHIRP same again and I know one or two have been filed.

Personally I think an upgrade to AFIS would go a long way to solving some of the problems. Traffic movements on the ground would be controlled with runways in use being decided by the duty controller. This would help to prevent some of the multiple runway use events. I think a FISO would also encourage better standards of RT. The A/G operators in question do a good job but at the end of the day they have no formal training ( I hold an A/G certificate). A/G operators have no power to control ground movements and this is often where things start to go wrong.

There are other areas that do need addressing, certain of the instructors attitudes certainly need a readjustment but this was not the subject of the thread!

People who still think that carrying a radio is an infringement of there civil liberty still amaze me. They are the same people that think the GPS is evil (as being discussed in another thread) or these new fangled electrical systems will never catch on. These are the same people that unless they change will ultimately cause the death of our sport.

There is no doubt that a radio aids flight safety along with good airmanship. I never fly without a radio, even aircraft with no electrical system I carry an Icom A22, gives me something to plug my BOSE into!

If A/G was sufficient to deal with everything at a busy airfield then why do we have FISO and ATC?