PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airviews Manchester
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2021, 21:00
condor17

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airviews Mcr was my 1st aviation employer . I was there in autumn 1973 , flying Beagle [ Auster ] Husky D.5 G-ASNC . Pale yellow with white titles/reg. in the smallest palest paint allowed [ in case of any necessary low flying ] . Bruce Martin was my boss , forgotten the office photo whizz's name [ Terry ? sorry ] . A soon to be life long mate was hanging out the back with the cameras .
We took photos of houses , factories , building jobs , motorway construction , river surveys , verticals , obliques , timed verticals, all to order . Our brief was if going past anything interesting , archeologically / newsworthy speaking ; to shoot it . Personally went from Essex to N. Wales , and South coast to Edinburgh.
1/2 million map normal nav aid , if looking for small village 1/4 mill. , or OS 50,000 maps . But in towns the the A-Z was the best nav aid.
At w/es could be joyrides from the end of the domestic pier in MAN . A/c kept in Black sheds on Southside . Office in one of the wartime vintage blocks just west of the Pub at the threshold to Rwy 24 [ as was ] .
Big 2 handed WW2 green camera with cassette of film clipped on to the back .
KP , yes I think they did produce postcards .
Bruce had told of competing in a Manchester ? to IOM air race and landing on the slopes of Snaefell as the closest he could get to the finish .
Lost touch after that , so have no knowledge of where archives went to . Sorry .
'NC still active at Peterborough [ towing gliders ? ] .

rgds condor .