PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final Report: April 2018 737 high speed aborted TO
Old 28th Jan 2021, 16:29
Stuka Child

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pineteam

Thanks for the love

No one is saying it's ok to reject after/above V1, but it is an indisputable fact that in some rare cases this is exactly what one must do. I can name you off the top of my head accidents with heavy loss of life, or death of everyone onboard, where the correct action was to stop and take the overrun if needed, but the go-minded captain went...and came right back down in a big fireball.

Miraculous escapes from car accidents are not exactly the best comparison. Aborted takeoffs above V1 are a relatively common occurrence despite what is being suggested on these fora, and the VAST MAJORITY of them end with no major damage to the aircraft, let alone hull losses or fatalities.

If anyone would like to see some numbers to compare fatalities from RTOs above V1 vs loss of control immediately after takeoff, I would be more than happy to pull them up and compile them for your viewing pleasure.

PPRuNe is a funny place. Operate outside of procedures (or on the thin grey line) and keep everyone alive, you are pilloried. Do something really stupid and kill everyone, you become a martyr - "oh don't blame the pilots" and all that hoo-hah.