PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Rank on Retirement
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2021, 13:54
DODGYOLDFART

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Gittins
I have never been in the military so have no idea why those who have see it necessary to use a title they no longer hold or need. The master of the foxhounds I had to deal with in my water main laying days in Cheshire was one who insisted on being Captain Something .... and talking with a ridiculous plummy accent that just got up everybody's nose. I was also led to understands that ex military men are permitted to call themselves by a rank one higher than they actually served with. And those with a problem with the pompous "Captain" would mutter that he only ever held the substantive rank of Lieutenant.

However, to my real question, I spend some time in the USA and it amazes me how may people have car number plate surrounds or wear caps that say "I fought in Vietnam" or "Ex Marine Corps" etc. (usually followed by "and proud of it"; which I am happy they are entitled to be.)

Surely that sort of blatant advertising is just asking to be a potential target of the ungodly ?
Another small but perhaps relevant fact concerning the USA. For some years I worked for a major US business with interests in the armament world in which I was involved. Twice a group of us went off to a desert somewhere in the USA to test out our latest gizmos. Each time I had to go through the chore of having my equivalent military rank established. The first time I was a line manager and was assessed as Lt. Col. equivalent. The second time about three years later and now a senior line manager I got uprated to full Col. When I bleated about that to my boss as other colleagues were rank equivalent generals he said are but you still have a British passport!!

The purpose of this equivalent rank exercise was to sort out messing facilities.

Come on guys there must be more of you out there who have had to put up with worse nonsenses.

Last edited by DODGYOLDFART; 28th Jan 2021 at 14:53.