PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737-800 Manoeuvring Speed
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2021, 19:35
BraceBrace

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It depends on the operator. Did you fly 2000hrs Airbus with one operator or known as "common practice" with many operators?

Some Boeing 737 background:

Boeing has a history with flap problems (but more related to the use of triple slotted flaps) and sensors, and the "old school philosophy" has been not to take any risk and fly flaps only with appropriate flap settings. Boeing does not want you to use flaps as brakes, you select flaps only when within max 10kts of the current flap maneuvering speed. 20 years ago I was sometimes put in "flightfreeze" in the simulator during the TR if I dared to ask for flaps 1 at 222kts when clean speed was 210kts. It was 215kts max. It was the instructors way of saying it was important to be very speedminded and the speed had to be correct within certain limits.

On the 737-300, flaps 1 placard speed is 230kts, so there is not a lot of margin to play with. On the 737-400, flaps placard speeds are higher for flaps 1 (250kts) but the margin reduces with flap setting and F25/30/40 have common flap placard speeds. So in the end the aircraft is flown using exactly the same techniques as the -300.

As a pilot who flies combination of Classic and NG today I find the NG a classic fuselage with a misdesigned wing, leading to unworkeable flaps/speed schedules. Ie, the aircraft needs flaps 5 on the glide, but the speed can be ridiculously low for that flap setting. And I will revert to "classic" speed schedules, flying flaps 5/180 or 170 on the glide. But I wouldn't go any higher with flaps out...

On the 777 we used to select flaps without reducing our speed and that worked fine for flaps 1 and 5, but or higher flap settings the comfort level is a bit dodgy. And some pilots coming from other operators previously didn't really like it.

Hope this helps.