PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final Report: April 2018 737 high speed aborted TO
Old 26th Jan 2021, 16:43
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B2N2
We all know that even after 14,000 hrs a career can be over in seconds.
And 200 human beings can be killed within the same number of seconds. In my book this pilot did the right thing. He decided to abort at V1 (for a good reason given where they were) and if he had applied full brakes and full reverser right form the beginning nobody would ever have heard about this incident. That an aircraft briefly continues to accelerate between the decision to abort and the beginning of the actual actions is figured into the calculations.
All this "I will abort for this and that below 80kt and for that and something else between 80 and V1" briefing bla-bla is nice in a classroom and maybe in a simulator (where already less than one half of pilots - me included - will get it right every time) but in real life it will be done wrong in the majority of cases. Because we are not machines. This is why the give us machines to facilitate our decisions, like this configuation warning system, but when those machines get it wrong we are even more alone than before.