PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Murray/Bodill Round the World
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2003, 16:16
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the discussion and opinions?

If I decide today to fly to my nearest airfield, it's no-one's business but mine, I'm sure you'd all agree. And if I plan a week's tour of Europe by helicopter, I doubt if anyone will have any opinions one way or the other as to whether I should do it...even if I happen to pick a route that's somehow never been flown before.

Jennifer and Colin have decided to fly round the world via the poles. And suddenly everyone has an opinion as to whether they should do it or not!

So at what point does a flight become public property, that everyone can stick their oar in and decide whether someone should do it or not? They want to do it. They're paying for it themselves. Yes, if anything goes wrong, it would involve other people, but that's equally true of any flight, including mine to the nearest airfield. Does that possibility mean that all recreational pilots should stay in their beds?

When I walked 5000 miles round Britain some 16 years ago, everyone had an opinion - I was mad, wonderful, doing it wrong, shouldn't do it at all, etc etc etc etc. I was too polite to ask all these people just what the hell it had to do with them?

Jeffa and Colin, you want to do it - that should be enough reason. Good luck with the rest of the trip.