PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to build and log hours effectively towards CPL?
Old 26th Jan 2021, 11:56
Magpie32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During the summer of 2019 I flew approximately 50 hours in Scotland.

You don't mention whether you are a member of a flying school or a club. There isn't any real advantage to purchasing an hours package, aside the discounted rate, as most schools (I speak regarding Scotland) don't have a structured guide book on the do's and don'ts. Speaking to instructors and fellow students should always be free - If you get the feeling you are ignored because you haven't deposited a large sum of money in the school's bank account then that will tell you a lot about them. Downsides to purchasing a block of hours (I did) are the school could go bust, COVID might hinder you using them or you get messed about by the school as they already have your money and their attention is focused on attracting new customers.

Your biggest issue without doubt will be weather. However that does mean you get a chance to sharpen your decision making skills, put a greater emphasis on flight and diversion planning and gain an appreciation of meteorology compared to someone flying in southern Spain. If you are looking for a job with Loganair, they like to see a logbook with Scottish trips.

There is only a requirement to do one CPL XCQ. You may find you inadvertently do more just by undertaking long trips on nice days.

If you are progressing to CPL and IR etc then try using old school planning methods. Paper chart and CRP etc. No skydemon or whatever it's called. I found the slightly younger crowd on the commercial training struggled more with the flight planning compared to myself who did a PPL back in 2008 before apps were a thing and knew only of the manual way to do it.

If your aircraft is equipped with nav aids then it's good to use them to get into practice but not at the expense of flying headings and timed legs. Use them as a confirmation of where you think you are or for random position fixes.

My preference for flying is long nav trips with circuits back at base on return. Every now and again I do a shorter local flight consisting of steep turns, stalls, PFLs etc.

It is good experience and keeps everything exciting if you mix between trips to large commercial airports and small grass strips etc.
Good grass strips are Glenforsa, Insch and Kingsmuir.
Travelling to the western islands are great for the scenery but water crossing appreciation too. Try Stornoway, Benbecula and Barra (added bonus of the beach landing).
Lots of these out lying airfields don't stock AVGAS so that won't necessarily make it a no-go but will require an added attention to planning.

If you can find a buddy to share the flights with you will get the experience for half the cost (you fly there, he/she flies back etc). But it will take twice as many flights to get your hours logged which means you need twice as many good weather flying days...

Below is a list of airfield popular with myself and fellow flyers at my school. Most can be achieved on a full tank on a leaned out PA28.
Oban
Glenforsa
Tiree
Islay
Prestwick
Plockton
Broadford
Barra
Benbecula
Stornoway
Inverness
Wick
Kirkwall
Insch
Longside
Kingsmuir
Cumbernauld
Eshott
Blackpool
Newtonards

Once covid allows, I will be recommencing my GA activities in Scotland. Feel free to ask me anything.