PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737-800 Manoeuvring Speed
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2021, 11:44
awair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My time on the 737 (3/4/500), and early time on 777, we were advised “not to use the flaps as Speedbrakes”. This meant only select and fly at speeds below the flap selection speed (FCTM: “selection of the flaps to the next flap position should be made when approaching, and before decelerating below, the maneuver speed for the existing flap position”), and NOT use the placard speed.

The “youngsters” these days have either never been taught that, or do not consider the FCTM as authoritative?

My understanding is that this is due to premature wearing of the tracks.

This makes sense, and reminds me of a story from my youth: my father worked in logistics and one of the fleet vehicles was the venerable Antar tank transporter, which could reputedly only manage 30mph! When introduced to one of the senior men, who could apparently “work magic” with any of the fleet, a certain arrogant youth said “...but can you make it go faster than 30mph?” I He was put in his place with the reply “of course, but how long do you want it to last?”.

Lesson learned: just because it can, doesn't mean it should...

Not saying this is necessarily the same as your question, but open to discussion.