PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intensive PPL
Thread: Intensive PPL
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2021, 09:42
Momoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Analagy about water and sponge is very good, I learned the theory side at a fast pace but it went in and stayed there.

Time frame gaining any licence varies according to ability, just that aviation has more financial constraints.
I found an intensive course worked for me because I went in with a positive mindset , had a goal and was prepared to be flexible to achieve the goal; taking a residential course also eliminates potential distractions, I lived and breathed aviation for 22 days and even on the (thankfully few) non flying days I revised and got up damn early on flying days to maximise potential. Doing the same thing in once or twice weekly lessons would have been a struggle for me as regards memory retention and focus.

Does it make a difference to becoming a better pilot, hard to answer in retrospect, you don't know what you don't know, I was fortunate enough to keep flying regularly until I had sufficient hours to join an Auster group. Experience is the best teacher and the training I had was good enough to get my licence and then allow me to then gain my own experience; at no point did I feel that I was being pushed faster than I could run but I accept that this is a possibility on intensive courses.
Thinking back, I had a couple of moments but I can put those down to p!ss poor planning on my part, one of which was resolved by a tip whilst training, timed run from a known VRP, thankfully I'd practiced this and knew the time/air speed and only had to allow for wind variables.