PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Rank on Retirement
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2021, 06:05
NutLoose

Received 2,928 Likes on 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
Whilst I am never going to achieve the kind of rank that would justify bragging about after my service I don’t begrudge it being used by those that have.

At the heart of it there may be a bit of arrogance, insecurity or even narcissism. It is also possible they are just very proud of what they managed to achieve.

We all join the services at the bottom of our respective ladders and climb to whichever rung suits our abilities and ambition. If you reach a higher rung and that was your ambition then good on you.

The last ex VSO I had any dealings with was a retired 4 Star. He was/is an absolutely brilliant bloke. His rank was germane to the situation but he didn’t push it. I still called him Sir anyway even when those around me didn’t.

My concern for a lot of posters here is that, by getting all worked up about it, you are probably showing your own insecurities more than anything.

If someone is a bellend it won’t matter what their rank once was. They will always be a bellend!

I say live and let live. But if they act like a prat then feel free to tell them, whoever they are.

BV

Well said Bob..

Nutloose GSM Retd