PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa Cargo B772 unreliable airspeed
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2021, 18:55
STN Ramp Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tdracer

+1 on this, I use the James Reason just culture model regularly. Clearly, we don't know all the facts but based on what's in the public domain.

Mechanic performing the inspection
1) Investigation complete
2) Question, was there a conscious substantial and unjustifiable disregard for risk? Answer YES, IF they signed off the work without conducting the inspection.
3) Question, was there malicious intent for the consequences? Answer, NO (hopefully) therefore the flow chart comes out as "recklessness" which could well result in dismissal.

Mechanic performing the task
1) Investigation complete
2) Question. was there a conscious substantial and unjustifiable disregard for risk? If the answer is YES then the flow chart will lead to "recklessness" which could well result in dismissal, if the answer is NO then the flowchart would lead to "mistake" which would lead to a written warning at worst. I imagine that signing a job card to say the task has been completed has led their employer to select YES to the initial question leading to their dismissal.

Using a just culture model properly should take the emotion out of the decision. I have dismissed people in the past by following the model ..... but the model has saved people who would have been dismissed had the model not been followed. The buck for this incident should not stop at the "shop floor" as it appears, on the surface of it, that the safety culture in LHT may need some work.