PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to build and log hours effectively towards CPL?
Old 25th Jan 2021, 12:43
thelowflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to build and log hours effectively towards CPL?

Hi all,

I've not long gained my PPL and I'm just about to start getting on with my hour building in the UK. With covid making things a bit more difficult and not being able to speak to instructors etc face to face much at the moment, I was hoping I could get some useful info on here.

As I mentioned, I'm looking to start racking up my hours now and I am planning to do this on a "pay as i fly" basis - ie, I am not currently in a position to purchase an hour building package. The downside to this I would imagine, is that not being signed up to a flying school "package" means that you don't have the same resources for guidance/mentoring etc as you make your way through the hours. Therefore, first and foremost I really need to understand what the expected "structure" is to hour building and how to log my flights in such a way that it provides ample evidence of demonstrating the experiences required to satisfy CPL issue when the time comes. A few Q's:
  • Are there any resources available that show ideal expectations of types of flights covered during the hour building stages? I am aware of the CAA basic hours requirements for CPL but I would imagine these are not "ideal" to make most effective use of the time. For example, there is only one 300 NM VFR XC required - is this actually the norm or would most hour builders be expected to have logged say, 3 or 4 of these?
  • How do you log your hours? Should I keep some sort of flying diary where I can record details of flights, rather than just the bare minimum log book entries? What should be included in this? Is there an official document for this purpose?
  • Any other unwritten rules about what should be part of the hour building process, or suggestions that would be useful?
In essence, really I am just wanting to make sure that as I go through this process I am proceeding with a structure of some kind whilst ticking off all the requirements, dotting my Is and crossing my Ts - I don't want to be caught out at the end thinking I have completed it all, to be told "ahh you haven't completed X during the process".

Also, I'm based in Scotland and open to new ideas/opportunities for cost-effective hour building rather than just through my flying school. If anyone has any suggestions regarding this they would be most welcome! Wouldn't mind being a glider tug pilot on weekends but not sure how realistic that is!! :P

Thanks all!