PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX to transition to ATRs, start domestic jet ops
Old 25th Jan 2021, 10:04
aviation_enthus

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PoppaJo
I think the point was around Rex having no operational experience dealing with large volumes of passengers, when things go haywire. That is where Tiger failed. Regardless they only have the ability to move onto the next service. Moving 200 people onto one or two fights remaining for the day will be a challenge. Don’t deny the fact, it’s Sydney to Melbourne, expect cancellations, it’s going to happen.

I really don’t think the S34 to 737 is a valid comparison. Tiger exited the A320 with 90% OTP, they picked the same 737s that Rex are chasing and it dropped to 60% and never moved the dial.

Don’t underestimate the challenges operating a old Jet fleet. No different to old Airbus machines (ten times worse than Boeing).

They also need to get the website in order. My Son has been trying to change a flight with them, the Modify My Booking online platform has been out of service for 3 weeks with associated apologies online.
I think the fact Rex can do 90% OTP on a SAAB at least shows they’ll treat OTP seriously on any jet fleet as well. A 737 is just another aircraft, not some special unicorn. So if the culture exists to get high OTP, it shouldn’t matter what aircraft it is.

Tiger was a basket case by the time they’d moved across to any meaningful 737 fleet, so I’m not sure that’s a reasonable comparison.

Rex don’t have “1 or 2 flights a day”. They currently have 9 return flights and I’d expect this will increase later in 2021. So I don’t think they’ll have a huge issue with finding seats for a canceled flight.

Having been there when they set up the QLD ops, I’d imagine Rex are doing the same thing with the 737 ops. “War gaming” various scenarios to work out recovery plans. Again, something that comes from the culture and SOP’s that already exist within the company.