PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What will UK CAA regs look like post Brexit?
Old 25th Jan 2021, 09:53
Central Scrutinizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spitfirejock
If it wasn't for the pandemic, Brexit and the whole issue of mutual recognition between UK CAA & EASA would be a lot clearer and I believe, a lot different. Most regulators are still working from home and it's going to take some time for the fog to lift and common sense to prevail. No doubt the HAS to be a meeting of minds to avoid chaos.

IMHO, the new, recently signed, Bilateral Agreement (BA) for mutual recognition of licenses and ratings with a simple conversion process, between EASA and the FAA (the latter being a third country in EASA speak) points the way to exactly how EASA will allow conversion from UK CAA (a third country now) to an EASA Part-FCL license in the future.
What if that EASA-UK bilateral agreement never comes for political reasons? It has nothing to do with the UK syllabus or training standards, which are on par if not higher than EASA. It's just the EU way to give the UK the middle finger for leaving the union.

Originally Posted by spitfirejock
Rudestuff is right, stop agonising over EASA right now, go for a UK license if you are based in the UK and convert later when a job is likely in Europe.
What would you say to an EU national who is only temporarily living in the UK and has now a UK CPL/IR which is essentially worthless in the rest of Europe? I can't use my expensive licence in my home country now unless I go through a very lengthy, expensive and painful process of ICAO to EASA convertion which involves sitting those 14 ATPL exams ALL OVER AGAIN.
Or should I just wait and hope for regulators to apply that common sense that never materialised itself, and do something else with my life in the meantime?